Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Feeling lazy? -- light a candle

I've been making candles for over a year now in hopes of starting my own business very soon. In the process of researching, I've come to realize that fragrances can do way more than just scent our homes, they can affect our moods! For instance, if you have fond memories of certain things from childhood, i.e. fresh baked pies, cookies, or certain floral aromas, the scents of those particular things can bring on a comforting feeling.
Certain scents are considered to be energizing, such as citrus lemony scents, mint, eucalyptus, and ginger. Others can be more calming and help you to unwind, such as lavender, chamomile, ylang ylang, and clary sage. Peppermint and Eucalyptus have also been known to aid in clearing the sinuses due to colds. There are some scents that are thought to bring on a sense of confidence and sensuality (which my DH probably thinks I could use more of) like Ylang Ylang and Patchouli.
Most of us like for our homes to smell nice, but most of us probably do not realize the real effects that those scents might play in our overall moods and activity level. So if you have a really crabby aunt, or a mean neighbor, you might consider a lavender candle for Christmas gift giving!

3 comments:

ummmhello said...

Ohhhh, quite an enterprise~! Let us know if you start selling...

Chris said...

I have always found lavendar scents to be soothing. I hope you can get your business going.

Debbie said...

I love scent in my home. I always like to have something nice scenting it and I have thought that my kids will one day associate those smells with home.