Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hair Transformation Anxiety...

Over the weekend I decided that I needed a hair transformation. I suffer from "Hair Transformation Anxiety". For most of my life I have had medium to long length hair. Change is incredibly scary for me, it's almost like my hair has offered some sort of security over the years. But as most anyone, I get tired of the same thing.

The anxiety always heightens upon entry of the salon. You start to second guess this decision you've made. Thoughts start swirling inside your head, "highlights/no highlights, layers/no layers, short/keep long?!" AHHHHH! It's just so overwhelming!

Then you start to realize that it's only hair, and, so what IF you don't like it, it WILL grow back, but that anxiety creeps back in. The stylist begins to detect your worry, so she tries to offer some suggestions to help ease you in your decision making process, which, in fact, only leads to this strange feeling of anxiety, now intertwined with a bit of pressure.

Finally, after feeling a bit silly when you realize you're reacting to the thought of a hair cut as if you were making a life or death decision, you take a deep breath and say, "let's just do it!"

The feeling now switches over to a little bit of ease, as you think of you and your stylist as being a team, almost as one. You've placed all of your faith into this person with what you consider to be one of your best physical assets. Thinking the entire time, "man, I hope she knows what she's doing..."

Several inches, red and blonde highlights, mixed with some faith, several hours later... this is what I got...

I was SO pleased with the outcome! Maybe change isn't so bad after all. Do you suffer from "Hair Transformation Anxiety," too? If so, take a deep breath, and just go for it! You'll likely be glad you did.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love it. It is sleek and sophisticated. You look great.

Lorrie Veasey said...

I think you look great. I have anxiety about just taking the banana clip out of my hair and combing it every now and then--so really, you are an inspiration.