Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kennedy - whether you like him or not

I am not a fan of the Kennedy's, actually, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Ted Kennedy is one the strongest forces to be reckoned with in the Senate.

As the youngest of nine children, he has endured the death of 6 siblings. He's one of three remaining. He survived a plane crash in 1964 that killed an aide worker and the pilot. He's suffered from back ailments ever since. He's had bouts with alcoholism which only assisted in tarnishing his reputation after the Chippaquiddick incident. He has endured the tragic deaths of three nephews. Two of his own children are cancer survivors. It's no big secret that the Kennedy family seems to endure more trials and tribulations than your everyday, average, family.

I don't have to be a fan of Kennedy to admire him. He has devoted over 45 years of his life, serving our country, to stand for what HE feels is in the best interest of our citizens. That in itself, is very admirable. I may not agree with his politics, but one can definitely not take that away from him. I pray for him, and for his family. I pray that he will have many memorable last days, a decent quality of life to devote more time to doing what he does, and that he will be able to spend quality time with his family and friends. God bless Ted Kennedy!

2 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I do like Kennedy, but as you have stated, that isn't necessarily important. He is a human being and I pray for a speedy recovery. However, one additional reason I was saddened by this news is because he is co-sponsoring a bill to help educate women who are pregnant with a child who may have Down syndrome before they make a decision to terminate the pregnancy. It is such an important bill to me and I pray it will not lose strength now. I know that is selfish of me, but I can't help it. Regardless, I pray for Kennedy's recovery.

TexasMomof3 said...

I totally see your concern, and don't think it's selfish at all. If Kennedy is behind it, it WILL pass, no doubt.