Thursday, May 1, 2008

Starting over...

Well I haven't blogged in quite a while, so thought I'd give it another go. In all honesty, I'm kind of a boring person that doesn't have cool, new, and exciting things to report each day, but maybe someone out there might find me interesting -- or at least might be able to relate! Over the past few weeks I have had, in a sense, a "starting over" outlook on life. Prior to that I had been dealing with what I guess could be considered... depression...I don't even like speaking the word. Mainly over things that I know many other people are experiencing at the moment. High on that list of worries was finances, which then tends to strain relationships, add that to just the regular everyday stresses in life, and well, it was overwhelming. Thank God for friends! A couple of weeks ago a dear friend of mine invited me to attend a Joyce Meyer conference here in Dallas. To be honest, I really started dreading the thought of going the closer the starting date approached so was relieved when the friend called to say she had to cancel (this is about a week prior to the date). So, even though I was happy in a way about not going, I was still kinda bummed that I wasn't going to see my friend, and my depression was just building, to the point where I had decided that I was going to see a doctor. Well that week comes and goes, and on a Thursday, which happened to fall on the opening date of the conference, I was now not planning to attend, I awoke with every intention of making it in to see the doc. I get a call... it's my friend calling to tell me her plans have changed she's coming down, figure something with the girls and let's go! I hung up the phone and kinda just sat there, thinking. An overwhelming feeling came over me. I knew I was meant to be at this conference. I knew that if I could somehow arrange things with the girls and it worked out, being so last minute, it was just meant to be. Things oddly just fell into place as far as arranging things for the kids and such... that NEVER happens. Man, am I so glad it did. I truly needed to go! It was such an eye opening thing, more like an intervention, if you will, a Devine intervention. One of the first things that hit me during Joyce's teaching was the fact that almost all of my thinking was sooooo negative and I had to change it! How could I possibly be anything but miserable when I'm spending most of my day wallowing in self-pity feeling sorry for myself all the time? I needed to get a grip! I have so much to be thankful for. I may not have my wants, but I certainly have all of my needs! Since the kick in the pants, I've been spending much more time in the Word, consistently praying, and just filling my day with more positive things. I know that with God's help, I can lead a happy, purposeful life!

0 comments: